The new facility is located at the former Oldham Batteries site, a brownfield land in the heart of Denton. The project is expected to complete in spring 2020.
- Eight lane, 25m, competition swimming pool with room for 150 spectators.
- Learner pool
- Spa area including sauna, steam and treatment facilities.
- Fitness suite
- Ten-pin bowling alley
- Meeting rooms
- Children’s soft play area
- Multi-use studio spaces
- Instead of a foyer there will be a social interaction zone – a cultural area to host community events and activities from talks to children’s sessions.
- The roof space will offer a sensory garden and could also be used for a pop-up cinema, small theatre or open air exercise space.
Network Space is delivering the £15m scheme on behalf of Tameside Council.
Sport England has backed the project with a £1.5m grant. Willmott Dixon will construct the centre.
Active Tameside will manage it.